This is my 1st backpackers trip, also my 1st time traveling abroad for real (1 year before, I visited Genting Highlands for 1 day only, and then going back to Medan, so it would not counted). At this trip, I was accompanied by 2 male friends, EL and TK. Even there were experience to travel abroad, but they were also “newbie” in backpackers. We selected Bangkok as our starting point which would end in Singapore.
A) Route Info
Here is the mapping of our route in this trip.
Totally, we would travel for 2207 km & 34 hours trip. We would stay and explore in few cities, starting from Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi Hat Yai, Penang, Kuala Lumpur, and ended in Singapore for 11 Days.
- Air Asia flight, Medan – Bangkok, 2 hours.
- Bus trip, Bangkok – Phuket, 14 hours.
- Mini Van trip, Phuket – Krabi, 4 hours.
- Mini Van trip, Krabi – Hat Yai, 4 hours.
- Mini Van trip, Hat Yai – Penang, 4 hours.
- Bus trip, Penang – Kuala Lumpur, 4 hours.
- Air Asia flight, Kuala Lumpur – Singapore, 1 hour.
- Jetstar flight, Singapore – Medan, 1 hour.
B) Flight Ticket
The flight we used for this trip was Air Asia with 2 flights (Medan – Bangkok & Kuala Lumpur – Singapore). The another was Jetstar (Singapore – Medan). We booked our Air Asia tickets with promo price 6 months before the trip. For the Jetstar, there would always “Friday Frenzy” promo. The total cost for our flight ticket was 1.250.000 IDR.
C) Arrange Itinerary
It was my 1st trip going abroad for real, so I was very nervous when I am arranging the itinerary. So, I am just used the Claudia Kaunang to book as main guide book with a little adjustment in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. The book was very good for a beginner like me that would guide me to explore the popular tourist spot in the city.
For the hotel (I could said hostel / guesthouse), we booked at Agoda.com for major city that we visited (Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, Kuala Lumpur). For the other city (Penang & Singapore), we booked personally by calling the owner of the room since it was an House and Apartment. The details were :
- Rambuttri House (Bangkok, Thailand) for 1 night stay, 135.534 IDR
- Lub Sbuy Guest House (Phuket, Thailand) for 1 night stay, 84.709 IDR
- The Greenery Hotel (Krabi, Thailand) for 1 night stay, 107.298 IDR
- Lorong Berjaya House (Penang, Malaysia) for 2 nights stay, 155.000 IDR
- Sun Inn (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) for 2 nights stay, 133.333 IDR
- People Park Apartment (Chinatown, Singapore) for 2 nights stay, 319.500 IDR
The price was for single person only. So, for the room price, it would be timed with 3 persons.
E) Total Cost
The total cost for our trip (single person) was 4.691.154 IDR. The details were :
As you can see, the major cost was Airplane Ticket and Transportation with 25% and 24% each. The rest were not major. The recreation was very expensive, so we would like to explore free attraction. The major cost for the attraction was Grand Palace ticket, and Cable Car at Sentosa Island.
So, the trip was cheap for ASEAN, especially in Thailand. The cost was a bit expensive only in Singapore. So, we only stayed for 2 days in Singapore. Just follow my next guide for the details of each day itinerary. “Happy Traveling”